IMPENDING DOOM SYNDROME

 

For most of my life, I have lived with a kind of dread, a sense that danger is never far from me and I must be vigilant. It runs in the background like some unwanted, unstoppable program on my laptop and just like an unwanted program, it siphons energy. I am so used to it, I barely notice it's happening. I barely notice that I still check the back seat of my car before getting in.

I am not mentally ill. I am living in a female body in a patriarchy-drunk world that hates us. Globally, 35% of women have experienced either physical and/or sexual violence. 200 million women have experienced genital mutilation. Recent reports by Iranian medics revealed that Iranian security forces are targeting women at anti-regime rallies with shotgun fire to their faces, breasts, and genitals.

I could go on, but this is a blog post not a thesis.

Imagine my relief when just yesterday, I learned that there is a name for my resident dread. It's called IMPENDING DOOM SYNDROME and it can actually be an early sign of a medical emergency. Symptoms include feeling a sense of urgency, difficulty settling, feeling anxious, discouraged, restless, or uncertain. Authorities say that feelings of impending doom are common when you’re in a life-threatening situation like a natural disaster or accident. They go on to say that it’s less typical, to feel that your life is in danger while you’re at work or resting at home.

I would add 'unless you are a woman'

Apparently, impending doom syndrome has been reported going all the way back in ancient Greek and Roman literature. I suspect that’s because women lived at that time too.

Comments

  1. This is illuminating! As I read your description I recognize that I have been living with, adapting to, compensating for Impending Doom Syndrome as far back as I can recall. Particular experiences I had beginning in my early teens and through my young womanhood compounded that deeply imprinted dread. I thoroughly resonate with “checking the back seat of the car.” Living alone in the woods on Gabriola Island, particularly when there is not adequate cell phone service or reliable electricity and landline phone connection that dread continues to surface all too often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts